HELICOPTER KAUAI

Kauai Helicopter 2014

                We had the great good fortune to go on helicopter tours recently.  I went with Mary Frances and her nephew Andrew and then Gil went with her nephew Joe and his friend John Henry.  The day I went, we didn’t really think we’d get in the air because the cloud cover was really low.  I thought we’d never get into Waialeale.  We went – it was great.

 Sharon, Andrew, Mary Frances


John Henry, Joe, Gil

                
 Kipu Kai, 
south of the airport

 All this land we have no access to any other way
What a miraculous island!

           



                Our ride was very exciting as we had no doors on the chopper.  When the pilot asked me if he wanted me to turn the machine on its side so I could see down the waterfall, I said sure (headphones & mic).  He was not kidding.  Not the best picture I’ve ever taken – just trying to hang on to the camera!

Straight down
YIKES!

           

 Waimea Canyon
 It’s always nice to see from the air – this magnificent cleft in the earth.

 Up and Over!
The pilot caught on that we were liking this a lot so we did lots of up and overs.  
With the headphones, we couldn't hear each other scream.


Waipo'o Falls 3200'

                Gil and I have hiked the Canyon Trail many times, coming over that red hump on the left to the top of Waipo’o Falls, then looking down over that top cataract. This was great. There is actually a wind that often blows the water and creates an airborne rainbow.  The pilot was trying to get us in there at the right moment.  The colors don't show here but we have them . . .

                As we popped out of the canyon we were over the Na Pali, passing the NASA observatories off limits to civilians. 

Kauai's "pimples" are nothing like Mauna Kea's, but NASA definitely has a presence here.

                We flew right over Honopu Valley next to Kalalau – the arch is between them that has been featured in several movies.  We have landed here several times by kayak and showered in the waterfall.  A meaningful spot from above or below.

Honopu

            Like I said last post, it has been the year of mother/child critters for me and today was no exception.  Here was a goat nursing on the side of the mountain.  These goats do a lot of harm up here wiping out what has been a fragile ecosystem – but life moves on – they are just doing what they do.


Feeding goat on side of cliff
Sorry for the blur, thought it was worth sharing

                We continued on, flying along and into the cliffs of the Na Pali.  

 Na Pali looking east


 Na Pali looking west (into the sun)


 Up close and personal
Once I saw what this machine could do I told the pilot I had never been 
inside the cathedrals – so we went inside!



 The Cathedrals


Inside the cathedrals - WOW!


        As the Na Pali ended we were over Ke’e Beach, one of the sweetest spots on the island.  

 Ke'e Beach - a magical place
see recent posts of snorkeling in that lagoon and the sunset picnic 

                  Then we went up the Hanalei Valley – a first for me by air.  All the hours I’ve spent below with the wetland birds there, now I could see what feeds the Hanalei River.
Hanalei Valley

                We headed back to the airport and finally remembered how stormy it had looked when we left.  We saw squalls everywhere.  It was pouring when we got there.  We had gotten into Waialeale but we were so close and it is so amazing – no pics do it justice.  Our hair was in knots and we were grinning from ear to ear.

 The weather had never let up - we were just above and beyond it




Thanks Mary Fran!



1 comment:

  1. Dear Gil & Sharon Donnelly,
    I am a french ornithologist (attaché to Paris museum) and preparing a book on the Hawaiian Finches. In this way, I would like to reproduce your Amakihi female with nesting material photo.
    Please, let me know if you allow me.
    Aloha
    Michel Ottaviani : michel.ottaviani@orange.fr

    ReplyDelete